Welcome to LAStories.com!

saving lives
By Keith Robberding
from Daly City,United States

7/10/2015
Print This Story Email This Story to a Friend

I have saved the lives of at least 6 people in my life, here the story.
I was delivering milk into a liquor store and saw the street apt windows ,2nd floor, implode. I ran upstairs and found a bunch of spt dwellers standing in the hallway with the manage frantically saying that she couldn\'t get into the room because she couldn\'t open the locked from the inside door.. I had no room to move so I said, \"stand back I\'m going to break the door down\" As I did so, I created what I believe is called a backdraft, or a flash up. Just as I got inside I stumbled over the elderly man in the room laying in front of the door. The ignited fire was incredibly hot, all of my sinus cavities in my head drained instantly onto my shirt, I quickly grabbed the man by his belt and shirt collar and tossed him just outside the door and dived on top of him. The intense heat had started to ignite the hair on my arms and head, and I was beginning to spontaneously combust. Someone in the hall had a blanket and kept the worst from happening, As I headed for the stairway I heard fire engines arriving and the prone man moved his arm imperceptibly and I knew he was alive.
I was having a run around the Polo Fields in golden gate park when I rounded a bend at the far eastern corner of the narrow path when I saw a man about 40 yards away hanging himself from a tree branch with his belt wrapped around his neck and I couldn\'t believe my eyes. Because I was a big man, former arm wrestler, I was able to lift him up enough with my left arm and undo the belt with my right. I sat him down on a fallen log, grabbed his hand and asked what was so horrible in his life that he felt he must die. He told me he was married, an alcoholic that had just crashed his third car of the year and he couldn\'t go home in this state. Just about this time two joggers passes us by with a sneer on their face that seemed to say, great, two more queers in the park, never suspecting what had just happened.
Next, I had a drinking problem that I used to combat the horrible panic attacks that I got every day. I was close to the front door having a drink when next to me there were 5 bikers making fun of a guy in front of them, They became increasingly angry, knocked the guy off his stool and proceed to seemingly stomp him to death, he was becoming a bloody mess right before my eyes. Always being someone who was quick to react, I slipped behind the 4 guys furthest from the bar and grabbed each guy by the back of his shirt and flung them head first into a wall just a few feet behind them. It took me less than 4 seconds I\'m guessing, all striking the wall head first and somehow, I knocked 4 big buys unconscious in seconds, the I have saved the lives of at least 6 people in my life, here the story.
I was delivering milk into a liquor store and saw the street apt windows ,2nd floor, implode. I ran upstairs and found a bunch of spt dwellers standing in the hallway with the manage frantically saying that she couldn\'t get into the room because she couldn\'t open the locked from the inside door.. I had no room to move so I said, \"stand back I\'m going to break the door down\" As I did so, I created what I believe is called a backdraft, or a flash up. Just as I got inside I stumbled over the elderly man in the room laying in front of the door. The ignited fire was incredibly hot, all of my sinus cavities in my head drained instantly onto my shirt, I quickly grabbed the man by his belt and shirt collar and tossed him just outside the door and dived on top of him. The intense heat had started to ignite the hair on my arms and head, and I was beginning to spontaneously combust. Someone in the hall had a blanket and kept the worst from happening, As I headed for the stairway I heard fire engines arriving and the prone man moved his arm imperceptibly and I knew he was alive.
I was having a run around the Polo Fields in golden gate park when I rounded a bend at the far eastern corner of the narrow path when I saw a man about 40 yards away hanging himself from a tree branch with his belt wrapped around his neck and I couldn\'t believe my eyes. Because I was a big man, former arm wrestler, I was able to lift him up enough with my left arm and undo the belt with my right. I sat him down on a fallen log, grabbed his hand and asked what was so horrible in his life that he felt he must die. He told me he was married, an alcoholic that had just crashed his third car of the year and he couldn\'t go home in this state. Just about this time two joggers passes us by with a sneer on their face that seemed to say, great, two more queers in the park, never suspecting what had just happened.
Next, I had a drinking problem that I used to combat the horrible panic attacks that I got every day. I was close to the front door having a drink when next to me there were 5 bikers making fun of a guy in front of them, They became increasingly angry, knocked the guy off his stool and proceed to seemingly stomp him to death, he was becoming a bloody mess right before my eyes. Always being someone who was quick to react, I slipped behind the 4 guys furthest from the bar and grabbed each guy by the back of his shirt and flung them head first into a wall just a few feet behind them. It took me less than 4 seconds I\'m guessing, all striking the wall head first and somehow, I knocked 4 big buys unconscious in seconds, the last guy looked up and silently split for the back door.
next, just a few blocks from the Haight Ashbury intersection in San Francisco in 1968, while delivering Milk, I heard a big commotion around the corner from the store I was about to enter. As I approached wearing my white milk mans uniform, I saw at least 100 spectators watching a big guy holding a smaller man, backwards over the hood of a car. In his right hand he was holding a large leather belt that had the biggest belt buckle I had ever seen, it must have measured 6\"x6\" and was a thick brass type material. I couldn\'t believe what I was seeing so I ran up to the suspect and grabbed him by the back of his shirt as he was flailing away with the belt buckle across his victims face. This guys face was so bloody, I couldn\'t make out the mans features. Once the mob was distracted they turned their focus on me, the guy who had just spoiled their fun. They chased me back to my milk truck, I jumped into the back via the side door. I grabbed the only thing that was weapons like, a 6ft x 1/2\" thick steel rod with a hook used to slide milk cases, 6 crates high 12 1/2 half gallons to the case (310 lbs) As the mob started to enter the same side door to get me, I said to them, waving my steel rod in my hand, Who wants to be FIRST?
They all glanced around and I guess decided there would be no takers at that.
Last year as I\'m disabled with an arthritic spine I was taking one of our two beloved greyhound rescues for a walk in my electric scooter, and from 5 house away I saw the biggest black/blue pit bull dog I have ever seen run out of a garage with the owner nowhere in sight. he raced up the street at me and my retired racer \"see ya later was his name\" as the pit got to the scooter, I kept my greyhound just behind me as I circled clockwise around the scooter. At the same time I had a pocket knife (Fallkniven, Swedish) that I pulled from its sheath. It has a3 1/4\" blade and the only plan of defense I could instantly pull of was bizarre, my plan was to give the pit bull my left arm and slice his throat with my razor sharp pocket knife. Stabbing a dangerous animal like that does no good and a strange thing began to happen, the dog seemed to sense that I was not prey, he sensed that something was wrong and maybe what he sensed was that I was not going to let him touch my dog in anyway. These greyhounds are the oldest dog breed in the world going back maybe 8,000 years before the great pyramids were built. They are special animals and our Mackie boy (nickname) had been promised that he was in his FOREVER home and it couldn\'t be that if I surrendered. The pit was obviously trouble because he thought I would be simple prey and was not. Just at this time the owner of the pit came running out of his house saw what was happening, charged down the street seeing the knife in my hand demanding to know if I was threatening his dog. I replied NO, that I was preparing to kill him outright
there were a couple more incidents in bars and I now have 27 years of sobriety and I\'m often told those were real acts of heroism, to which I replied, they weren\'t heroic, they were acts of humanity. If I couldn\'t live with the results of inaction then I had to act regardless if I was putting my life in danger. I never considered the consequences, fortunately for me because what I did could guy looked up and silently split for the back door.
next, just a few blocks from the Haight Ashbury intersection in San Francisco in 1968, while delivering Milk, I heard a big commotion around the corner from the store I was about to enter. As I approached wearing my white milk mans uniform, I saw at least 100 spectators watching a big guy holding a smaller man, backwards over the hood of a car. In his right hand he was holding a large leather belt that had the biggest belt buckle I had ever seen, it must have measured 6\"x6\" and was a thick brass type material. I couldn\'t believe what I was seeing so I ran up to the suspect and grabbed him by the back of his shirt as he was flailing away with the belt buckle across his victims face. This guys face was so bloody, I couldn\'t make out the mans features. Once the mob was distracted they turned their focus on me, the guy who had just spoiled their fun. They chased me back to my milk truck, I jumped into the back via the side door. I grabbed the only thing that was weapons like, a 6ft x 1/2\" thick steel rod with a hook used to slide milk cases, 6 crates high 12 1/2 half gallons to the case (310 lbs) As the mob started to enter the same side door to get me, I said to them, waving my steel rod in my hand, Who wants to be FIRST?
They all glanced around and I guess decided there would be no takers at that

<< back