Welcome to LAStories.com!

Stories

Announcements

My Home.
Story by Christyna Ross from South Lake Tahoe, CA - 10/16/2013
I've been dreaming ever since I was a little girl, of getting out of this small, mountainous town and go explore some place much greater. My best friend and I would sit and dream about it daily. I would do anything to go to a big city with the beautiful beaches and the big glistening lights. I did some research and I found the place I have always been dreaming about was Los Angeles. I was young but my mind was set. It was my goal to be driving on those city roads with the wind blowing throu...
more >>

Luminario Ballet June 10th Fundraiser
Story by Paul Tracy from Avalon, CA - 5/27/2009
Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Luminario Ballet will be presenting a segment from a Michael Smuin ballet, set by the San Francisco Ballet’s prima, Evelyn Cisneros and Doriana Sanchez, choreographer/director of Cher and So You Think You Can Dance will present her modern ballet choreography and there will be loads of special guests and choreographers performing.

MC Carmit Bachar aka Foxy Doll, will be saucily guiding the evening\'s events. She is one of the original vocalists of Puss...

more >>

Catalina Flying Fish Festival May 28th-31st
Story by Paul Tracy from Avalon, CA - 5/26/2009
In celebration of the annual return of Catalina Island's famous flying fish, Catalina announces the 2nd Annual Flying Fish Festival, May 28th - May 31st, a four day festival of family fun on California's only island resort destination.   

From May to September every year, Catalina Island welcomes the famed flying fish. This spectacular fish soars out of the water at heights of up to 30 feet and glides for distances as long as 1/4 mile. The flying fish visits the Island for only a few...

more >>

Right Attitude and Right Conduct : A talk by His Eminence Zurmang Gharwang Rinpoche
Story by Kathy Gronau from los angeles, usa - 10/15/2007
The Los Angeles Shambhala Meditation Center will present a public talk by Zurmang Gharwang Rinpoche, known as a highly realized being in the Buddhist community, or a Tulku.

The eminent lama will explore the question, “We are all trying to do the right thing, but how do we know what’s really right? “ October 26, 2007 (Friday evening 7:30 p.m.).

The Shambhala Meditation Center of Los Angeles is located in Eagle Rock at 963 Colorado Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90041, at Figueroa. Pr...

more >>

BATTLE OF EGO
Story by Kathy Gronau from santa monica, CA - 9/3/2007
A public class with Tom Gottlieb and Claude Zachary
Price: $75.00 ($50.00 for members, seniors or students)

September 4 - October 2, 2007, 7:30pm

What is the nature of our minds and our relationship to the world? This course investigates the quality of struggle in how we relate to ourselves and the world. Perhaps we can begin to find a genuine and sane way to live.

This series provides an introduction to mind and life from the Buddhist perspective, culminatin...

more >>

widow of Tibetan Buddhist meditation master and author Chögyam Trungpa, will speak about her life with him at the Shambhala Meditation Center of Los Angeles
Story by WIDOW OF FAMED TIBETAN BUDDHIST TEACHEr from los angeles, CA - 5/8/2007
Diana Mukpo, the widow of Tibetan Buddhist meditation master and author Chögyam Trungpa, will speak about her life with him at the Shambhala Meditation Center of Los Angeles (963 Colorado Boulevard (at Figueroa) in Eagle Rock, just off the 134 Freeway).

She will also be signing copies of her book, Dragon Thunder: My Life with Chögyam Trungpa. on Thursday, May 10, at 7:30pm. The suggested donation is $20 ($15 for members, seniors or students).

For more inf...

more >>

CCPT Announces Neil Simon’s ‘The Good Doctor’ 2007 Benefit Performance and Silent Auction
Story by Culver City Public Theatre from Culver City, CA - 3/11/2007
Culver City, California-- As Culver City Public Theatre (“CCPT”) prepares to announce its 2007 summer season, it will proudly present a staged-reading benefit performance of Neil Simon’s ‘THE GOOD DOCTOR’ in a special fundraising event which will also feature an exciting silent auction. Laugh as our narrator, a distinguished writer, leads you through stories including a sneeze that ruins a man’s career, a visit to the dentist that goes comically awry, and a sweetly innocent woman who turns...
more >>

Life in Los Angeles
Story by Brian Michael Tracy from Los Angeles, CA - 2/4/2007
I've been living in Los Angeles for the past 15 years. I have traveled all over the world and no city is anything like LA. I love it. However, they're are some challenges. I made a fun 10 minute short film about LA. You can see it on my webpage: http://www.MySpace.com/BrianMichaelTracy...
more >>

liv luv lrn lgc...
Story by Richard Glenn Richmond from Green Bay, WI - 5/16/2005
i seek to explore life's mixture of nutrients in culture... los angeles portrays an area of vast people potential, however i am sure many have not yet weathered all the seasons of a great harvest. on all of the partly sunny days i believe those looking for the clouds will continue to plant seeds, and those who just make out the shades of gray will realize in time, all of their "bread" will be spent being consumed by those accepting the guidance of mother nature... THANK YOU, THE PEOPLE OF ...
more >>

Project Blowed - hip hop music
Story by Char Greenwood from Los Angeles, CA - 4/17/2005
The recent surge in Cali underground hip hop is indeed undeniable. More and more, young artists are emerging from the streets to bring glory back to the west. Now, thanks to venues such as Lemert Park's Project Blowed, serious emcees like Psychosiz (of the hip hop monarchy Customer Service) are getting a chance to showcase not only their skills - but their drive and determination.

Project Blowed, is located in the ecclectic Leimert Park area, just off the Crenshaw strip and in the...

more >>

La Nueva Raza Latina en America
Story by Tony Alcazar from Los Angeles, CA - 1/18/2005
La realidad de los Latinos en Estados Unidos

Los inmigrantes latinos vienen a Estados Unidos a perseguir el “Sueño Americano”, pero la mayoría no lo logra. Por si fuera poco, el 25 por ciento de la población latina se encuentra en la pobreza. Según las últimas estadísticas del buró de Censos, de los 39 millones de latinos, 9 millones son pobres. La imagen del latino en Estados Unidos es la de un grupo pobre, sin educación y que hacen los trabajos que los anglosajones no quieren hac...

more >>

Noche de Ninos Gala for Childrens Hospital
Story by Giselle Fernandez-Farrand from Los Angeles, CA - 8/21/2004
August 2004

Fellow Los Angelinos,

I am writing on behalf of our children -- our most precious resource. When they are sick or hurt, we want the very best care for them -- the care they receive at Childrens Hospital Los Angeles .

I am deeply committed to making sure that our community's most critically ill children have the best medical care available, and I am proud to be the executive producer of the first annual, "Noche de Ninos Gala," a "Night for the Children" benefitin...

more >>

Story by Giselle Fernandez-Farrand from Los Angeles, CA - 8/21/2004
Fellow Los Angelinos,

I am writing on behalf of our children -- our most precious resource. When they are sick or hurt, we want the very best care for them -- the care they receive at Childrens Hospital Los Angeles.

I am deeply committed to making sure that our community's most critically ill children have the best medical care available, and I am proud to be the executive producer of the first annual, "Noche de Ninos Gala," a "Night for the Children" benefiting Childrens Hos...

more >>

Chekhov’s Poignant ‘The Cherry Orchard’ Helps Culver City Public Theatre Cap Successful 6th Season
Story by Culver City Public Theatre from Culver City, CA - 8/9/2004
Culver City, California-- Culver City Public Theatre (“The Public”) will round out its highly successful 2004 mainstage season with Anton Chekhov's timeless, wistful classic ‘The Cherry Orchard’. With a humorous, passionate portrait of a disappearing way of life, re-discover the grace and humor of this masterpiece of the modern theatre. Performances, appropriate for family audiences of all ages, are scheduled for the Saturday and Sunday weekend afternoons at 2pm on August 14-15, 21-22 and...
more >>

Explosive Drama ‘An Enemy Of The People’ Resonates With Timely Relevance At Culver City Public Theatre
Story by Ken Kamlet from Culver City, CA - 7/29/2004
Culver City, California-- A small town has just begun to win fame and wealth through its medicinal spring waters, but the resident physician discovers a life-threatening secret. In Henrik Ibsen's explosive drama ‘An Enemy Of The People’, adapted by American theatrical icon Arthur Miller, audiences will experience an unforgettable tale of betrayal, greed, corruption and the courageous fight for truth. Performances are scheduled for weekend afternoons at 2pm from July 31-August 8th in lovel...
more >>

Noël Coward’s Classic Comedy ‘Hay Fever’ Opens Culver City Public Theatre Summer Season
Story by Editor from Culver City, CA - 7/8/2004
Culver City, California-- Noël Coward’s classic madcap comedy ‘Hay Fever’ will open Culver City Public Theatre’s 2004 Summer Season in Dr. Paul Carlson Memorial Park on Saturday, July 10th at 2pm. Mayhem ensues as the charming and eccentric Bliss family each invite a guest to their country home for a summer weekend. The visitors struggle to make sense of bizarre antics and a hilarious game of romantic musical chairs ensues. Performances are scheduled for weekend afternoons at 2pm from Ju...
more >>

Culver City Public Theatre Unveils 'Children’s Popcorn Theatre'
Story by Editor from Culver City, CA - 5/12/2004
Culver City, California--The Culver City Public Theatre (‘The Public’) proudly announces an expanded schedule that will include delightful and entertaining productions geared for young audiences. The debut of the newly developed ‘Children’s Popcorn Theatre’ commences with the 2004 Summer Season in Dr. Paul Carlson Memorial Park. Performances will run in tandem with The Public’s mainstage season, announced earlier this spring, and admission will be Free for children of all ages.

The...

more >>

Culver City Public Theatre Announces 2004 Summer Season
Story by Editor from Culver City, CA - 4/15/2004
Culver City, California--The Culver City Public Theatre ("The Public") has proudly announced an expanded schedule for its 2004 Summer Season in Dr. Paul Carlson Memorial Park. The Public will offer its growing and loyal audience a diverse and entertaining season with a challenging mix of hilarity, suspense, heartbreak and a cascade of timely political intrigue.

Now entering its 6th season of bringing free, professional, classical theatre to Los Angeles-area audiences, The Public w...

more >>

Culver City Public Theatre Welcomes New Faces
Story by Culver City Public Theatre from Culver City, CA - 4/2/2004
Culver City, California--As the Culver City Public Theatre ("The Public") prepares to present its 6th season of professional, classical theatre to Los Angeles-area audiences, the Board of Directors is pleased to announce several key changes in leadership as well as the 2004 additions to its membership roll.

Last season's appointments of founding members Laura Neufeld and Kyle Nudo to the positions of Executive Directors of the Culver City Public Theatre Board were met with unanimous ...

more >>

‘The Public’ Introduces New Look and New Web-Site
Story by Ken Kamlet, Culver City Public Theatre from Culver City, CA - 3/26/2004
Culver City, California--As the Culver City Public Theatre ("The Public") prepares to announce its 6th season of professional, classical theatre to Los Angeles-area audiences, the Board of Directors is heralding a series of changes to its identity, web-site and logo.

Commencing with the 2004 Season, Culver City Public Theatre will also be referred to as "The Public"; a change from its previous occasional identity as "CCPT". Executive Board Chairman Kyle Nudo explains, "The change is...

more >>

Hilarious ‘Scapin’ Helps Culver City Public Theatre Cap Successful 5th Season
Story by Ken Kamlet from Culver City, CA - 8/11/2003
Culver City, California--A brilliant and mischievous servant who opens a can of slapstick on his masters, two lovesick young couples and a pair of cranky fathers all converge in "Scapin (The Scams of Scapin)" a hilarious, tour-de-force classic by Molière, the creator of French High Comedy.

With this production, Culver City Public Theatre (CCPT) concludes its highly successful 5th season of bringing free, professional, classical summer theatre to Los Angeles-area audiences. CCPT is c...

more >>

Culver City Public Theatre Updates Classic Sophocles Tragedy, ‘Oedipus Rex’
Story by Ken Kamlet from Culver City, CA - 7/28/2003
Culver City, California—A horrific murder and suffering from pestilence devastates his empire. But the anguish gets ever worse as the title character in "Oedipus Rex" must unravel disturbing mysteries and face haunting family secrets.

Now in its 5th season of bringing free, professional, classical summer theatre to Los Angeles-area audiences, Culver City Public Theatre (CCPT) is currently enjoying the success of a well-received, audience-pleasing run of Shakespeare’s comedy "All’s W...

more >>

Golf-4-Dusty
Story by Trisha Meraz from Palmdale, CA - 7/21/2003
Dear Members of the Community:

Please allow us to introduce ourselves, we are the parents of Dustin Joseph Meraz. Our son Dustin was diagnosed with cancer at the age of 10 years old. After a year of treatment, Dustin lost his fight to this deadly disease on March 5th, 2003. In honor of our son, we are holding the first annual "Kids Have Cancer, Too" benefit to fundraise money for the Children's Care Coalition and support Neuroblastoma Pediatric Cancer Research.

Children's Care...

more >>

Shakespeare’s ‘All’s Well That Ends Well’ Opens CCPT Summer Season
Story by Ken Kamlet from Culver City, CA - 7/7/2003
Culver City, California--Now entering its 5th season of bringing free, professional, classical theatre to Los Angeles-area audiences, The Culver City Public Theatre (CCPT) will kick off the summer with "All’s Well That Ends Well", William Shakespeare’s romantic comedy of two unlikely lovers. Female ingenuity outwits royalty and death in this surprising and rarely-produced classic tale. Performances are scheduled for the weekends of July 19-20 and July 26-27 at 2pm in beautiful Dr. Paul Ca...
more >>

Culver City Public Theatre Stages 2003 Summer Season
Story by Ken Kamlet from Culver City, CA - 6/24/2003
Culver City, California--The Culver City Public Theatre (CCPT) has proudly announced the schedule for its 2003 Summer Season in Dr. Paul Carlson Memorial Park. CCPT will offer its growing and loyal audience a diverse and entertaining season with a challenging mix of laughter, heartbreak, tragedy and romance.

Now entering its 5th season of bringing free, professional, classical theatre to Los Angeles-area audiences, CCPT will kick off the summer with "All’s Well That Ends Well", Will...

more >>

Culver City Public Theatre Names New Leadership
Story by Culver City Public Theatre from Culver City, CA, CA - 6/9/2003
Culver City, California--As the Culver City Public Theatre (CCPT) prepares to present its 5th season of professional, classical theatre to Los Angeles-area audiences, the CCPT Board of Directors has announced that CCPT is now under new leadership. Commencing with the 2003 season, founding company members Laura Neufeld and Kyle Nudo have been named to the posts of President and Vice President, respectively.

The announced appointments of Neufeld and Nudo have already been met with una...

more >>

<< back to Categories